Outcomes and opportunities
The 15 Technical Committees (TCs) support IEEE Consumer Technology Society (CTSoc)'s technical activities in the areas of conferences, publications, standards, education, history, and cross cutting initiatives in collaboration with other IEEE Society/Council Technical Committees and IEEE organizational units thanks to the great dedication of the officers and members of CTSoc CTs.
This page reports the major outcomes of these efforts, by also listing open opportunities for those willing to contribute.
For more information about the TCs and how to join them please visit the TC Membership Application Form (MAF) page.
TCs contribution to CTSoc Conferences
Periodically, TCs' officers are forwarding to their members calls for participation in the technical activities of CTSoc conferences. A list of open calls, if any, is reported below. Moreover, for closed calls, ways in which the TCs have been involved and outcomes achieved are also reported (chronologically, starting with the more recent). For proposing other contributions, the officers of the relevant TCs can be contacted.
IEEE GEM 2023 - Call for volunteers serving in Technical Positions - Deadline May 10, 2023
Prof. Curtis Gittens, Chair of IEEE CTSoc 2023 conference on “Gaming, Entertainment and Media” – GEM 2023 (https://ieeegem.org/) informed the VP Technical Activities that, after having appointed some members of the Organizing Committee who served in 2022 edition, intended to call for volunteers willing to serve a TPC Co-Chair, Workshop Co-Chair, Tutorial Co-chair and Publication Co-Chair. A form has been shared among the TCs to collect applications. Form closed on May 10, 2023. The following names were selected:
- TPC Chairs: Andrew Hogue, Alberto Cannavò (VAM), Houbing Herbert Song (SMC)
- Workshop Chairs: Mechelle Gittens, Jalil Piran (MDA)
- Tutorial Chairs: Abraham Campbell, Muhammad Asif Khan (MDA)
- Publication Chairs: Alvaro Quevedo
IEEE ICCE Berlin 2023 - Call for Track Chairs/Co-chairs (closed)
Prof. Dr. Jürgen Freudenberger and Dr. Alessandro Tonacci, TPC Chairs of IEEE ICCE 2023 Berlin (https://www.icce-berlin.org/) informed the VP Technical Activities that the conference is planned to include include 15 Regular tracks corresponding to 15 Technical Committees (TCs) of IEEE Consumer Technology Society (CTSoc). The TCs have been invited to support the conference team in the recommendation of suitable Track Chair/Co-chair candidates. A form has been shared among the TCs to collect applications. Form closed on May 7, 2023. Selected applicants are listed below:
- Hung Cao (IOT)
- Yafei Hou (CCN)
- Alberto Cannavò (VAM)
- Lucia Billeci (CSH)
- Brij Gupta (SPC)
- Amrit Mukherjee (SMC)
- Luigi Celona (MDA)
- Kapal Dev (HMI)
- Hongliang Ren (SEA)
- Mustafa Can Gursesli (ENT)
- Ahmed Farouk (QCT)
- Charith Abhayaratne (AVS)
- Jianlong Fu (CEA)
- Lucio Ciabattoni (CPE)
- Masato Oguchi (MDT)
IEEE ICCE 2024 Las Vegas - Call for Track Chairs/Co-chairs (closed)
Prof. Yu-Cheng Fan, TPC Chair of IEEE ICCE 2024 Las Vegas informed the VP Technical Activities that the conference is planned to include 15 Regular tracks corresponding to 15 TCs of IEEE CTSoc. The TCs were invited to support the conference team in the recommendation of suitable Track Chair/Co-chair candidates. A form was shared, and names collected by the deadline set to March 8, 2023 were passed to Prof. Yu-Cheng Fan. Selected applicants were announced in the TC Board meeting of April 26, 2023.
ICCE 2023 Las Vegas - Call for Technical Positions (closed)
A call for participation in technical positions of IEEE CTSoc ICCE Las Vegas 2024 (https://icce.org/2024/) edition was shared within the TCs. TC Chairs voted on the 26 received applications, and the following names were ultimately selected by the Conference Executive Chair. The candidates were selected based on the following premises: need experienced people with availability; need redundancy in the event one can’t serve or there is too much work to be done; need diversity by region, gender, knowledge base, etc.; want to provide experience to less experienced people so they do get a chance and not be sidelined, potentially repeatedly; preference for CTSoc members. Names not selected will be considered for next events as indicated in the call.
- TPC Chair - Amjad Anvari-Moghaddam
- TPC Co-Chair - Mikiko Sode Tanaka
- Publications Chair - Glenn Van Wallendael
- Publications Co-Chair - Prof. Bo Wei
- Tutorials Chair - Asma Khatoon
- Tutorials Co-Chair - Alex James
- Workshop Chair - Brij Gupta
- Workshop Co-Chair - Mustafa Sert
- Web Chair - Mohd Anuaruddin Bin B. Ahmadon
GEM 2022 - Call for Technical Positions (closed)
A call for participation in technical positions of IEEE CTSoc International Conference on Games, Entertainment & Media (GEM) 2022 edition was shared within the TCs. TC Chairs voted on the received applications, and the following names were ultimately selected by the Conference Executive Chair, C. Gittens. Names not selected will be considered for next events as indicated in the call.
- TPC Chair - Alvaro Quevedo
- TPC Co-chair - Sonia Mendoza
- Publication Chair - Luis Martin Sanchez
- Tutorial Chair - Abraham Campbell
- Workshop Chair - Mechelle Gittens
ICCE-Berlin 2022 - Call for Technical Positions (closed)
A call for participation in technical positions of IEEE CTSoc ICCE-Berlin 2022 edition was shared within the TCs. TC Chairs voted on the received applications, and the following names were ultimately selected by the Conference Executive Chair, L. Ciabattoni. Names not selected will be considered for next events as indicated in the call.
- TPC Chair (Co) - Alessandro Tonacci
- TPC Chair (Co) - Paolo Napoletano
- TPC Chair (Co) - Kakarountas Athanasios
- TPC Chair (Special sessions) - Chen Liang-Bi
- Workshops Chair - Nagori Soyeb
- Tutorial Chair - Campbell Abraham
- Publication Chair - Anedda Matteo
ICCE-Berlin 2021 - Call for TCP Members (closed)
A call for participation as members of the ICCE-Berlin 2021 Technical Program Committee (TPC) was shared within the TCs. Names of TC members who have been invited to join are listed below.
- Nikolaos Athanasios Anagnostopoulos, University of Passau (SPC)
- Athanasios Kakarountas, University of Thessaly (SMC)
- Syifaul Fuada, Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia (SMC)
- Henry Griffith, University of Texas at San Antonio (SPC)
- Luisiana Sabbatini, Università Politecnica delle Marche (SMC)
- Hany Bastawrous, The British University in Egypt (SEA)
- Humaira Nisar, Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman (ENT)
- Fumitaka Ono, Tokyo Polytechnic University (SMC)
- Chun-Hsian Huang, National Taitung University (SPC)
- Yih-Chuan Lin, National Formosa University (WNT)
- Femi Adeyemi-Ejeye, University of Surrey (WNT)
- Frankie Inguanez, Malta College of Arts, Science & Technology (MDA)
- Fabrizio Balducci, University of Bari (SMC)
- Fu-Hai Frank Wu, National TsingHua Universtiy (SPC)
- Daniel Giusto, University of Cagliari (MDT)
- Brij Gupta, National Institute of Technology Kurukshetra (SPC)
- Mingkai Chen, Nanjing University of Posts and Telecommunications (SEA)
- Donghyun Kang, Changwon National University (MDT)
- Yanlei Gu, Ritsumeikan University (MDT)
- Taku Yamazaki Shibaura Institute of Technology (SMC)
- Giuseppe Spampinato, STMicroelectronics (AVS)
- Susanna Spinsante, Università Politecnica delle Marche (CSH)
- Lucia Billeci, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (CSH)
- Stanley Glenn Brucal, Asia Pacific College (CSH)
- Stuart Lipoff, IP Action Partners Inc (CPE)
- Wen-Cheng Lai, National Yunlin University of Science and Technology (CPE)
- Chun-An Cheng, I-Shou University (CPE)
- Shahriar Mirabbasi, University of British Columbia (CPE)
- Amjad Anvari-Moghaddam, Aalborg University (CPE)
- Agnese Sbrollini, Università Politecnica delle Marche (CSH)
- Saher Javaid, Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (CPE)
- Salvatore Tedesco, Tyndall National Institute, University College Cork (MDA)
- Nan-Ching Tai, National Taipei University of Technology (MDT)
- Po-Lin Lin, National United University (CPE)
- Ivan Kastelan, University of Novi Sad (CEA)
- Toru Yano, Toshiba Corporation (CPE)
- David Murphy, University College Cork (HMI)
- Mikiki Sode Tanaka, International college of Technology (CPE)
- Masafumi Nishimura, Shizuoka University (MDA)
- Marija Antic, University of Novi Sad (SMC)
- Vicente Lucena Jr, Federal Unversity of Amazonas (CSH)
- Curtis Gittens, University of the West Indies - Cave Hill Campus (ENT)
- Juan A. Holgado-Terriza, University of Granada (SMC)
- Yibeltal Chanie Manie, National Taipei University of Technology (WNT)
- Sungwoo Bae, Hanyang University (CPE)
- Angelito Silverio, University of Santo Tomas (CPE)
- Julián Villegas, University of Aizu (HMI)
- Xiaofeng Liu, Hohuai University (SMC)
- Ryota Horie, Shibaura Institute of Technology (HMI)
- Tom Coughlin, Coughlin Associates, Inc. (HMI)
- Kenichiro Ito, The University of Tokyo (HMI)
Games, Entertainment, and Media - GEM (closed)
Three groups expressed their interests to host next editions of GEM conference. Discussion started, managed by VP Conferences, Dr. Raed Abdullah. Meanwhile, a GEM session is going to be organized at IEEE ICCE Berlin 2021 with the involvement of the ENT TC.
ICCE-Berlin 2021 - Call for Technical Positions (closed)
A call for participation as TPC Chairs, Publications Chair, Tutorials Chair and Workshops Chair to IEEE ICCE-Berlin 2021 conference was shared within the TCs. TC Chairs voted on the 18 received applications, and six names were ultimately selected by the Conference Executive Chair, Dr. Lucio Ciabattoni. Names not selected will be considered for next events.
- Hiroyuki Sato, The University of Tokyo, Japan, TPC Chair (SPC)
- Thomas Schumann, Hochschule Darmstadt-Univ. of Applied Sci., Germany, TPC Chair (CEA)
- Alessandro Tonacci, National Research Council, Italy, TPC Chair (CSH)
- Bernard Fong, Providence University, Taiwan, Publications Chair (CEA)
- Isabel M. Moreno-Garcia, University of Cordoba, Spain, Tutorials Chair (SPC)
- Pham The Bao, Sai Gon University, Vietnam, Workshops Chair (CSH)
ICCE 2022 Las Vegas - Call for Track Chairs (closed)
A call for participation as Track Chair to the flagship IEEE ICCE 2022 in Las Vegas was shared within the TCs. All the applicants were invited by Conference Executive Chair, prof. Jong-Moon Chung, to serve as either Track Chairs for the Technical Program, or Topical Area Chairs for the Industry Forum (given the high response to the call).
- Charith Abhayaratne, University of Sheffield, UK (AVS)
- Jong-Hyouk Lee, Sejong University, Korea (CEA)
- Bernard Fong, Providence University, Taiwan (CEA)
- Lucia Pepa, Università Politecnica delle Marche, Italy (CSH)
- Pham The Bao, Sai Gon University, Vietnam (CSH)
- Lei Shu, Nanjing Agricultural University, China (CPE)
- Amjad Anvari-Moghaddam, Aalborg University, Denmark (CPE)
- Ruck Tawonmas, Ritsumeikan University, Japan (ENT)
- Worawat Choensawat, Bangkok University, Thailand (ENT)
- Kingkarn Sookhanaphibarn, Bangkok University, Thailand (HMI)
- Hui Zhao, University of North Texas, USA (IOT)
- Hung-Wei Wu, Feng Chia University, Taiwan (IOT)
- Dong Seog Han, KNU, Korea (MDT)
- Jose-Maria Flores-Arias, University of Cordoba, Spain (SEA)
- Anil Fernando, University of Surrey, UK (SEA)
- Debajyoti Pal, King Mongkut's University of Tech., Thailand (SMC)
- Athanasios Kakarountas, University of Thessaly, Greece (SMC)
- Stefan Katzenbeisser, University of Passau, Germany (SPC)
- Sunghyun Cho, Hanyang University, Korea (SPC)
- Yu-Cheng Fan, National Taipei University of Tech., Taiwan (VAR)
- Alberto Cannavò, Politecnico di Torino, Italy (VAR)
- Meng-Lin Ku, National Central University, Taiwan (WNT)
- Hiraku Okada, Nagoya University, Japan (WNT)
- Cihat Cetinkaya, Muğla Sitki Kocaman University, Turkey (WNT)
- Abbas Bradai, Université de Poitiers, France (WNT)
- Nobuyoshi Komuro, Chiba University, Japan (AVS)
- Prashanth Viswanath, Valeo Vision Systems, Ireland (CEA)
- Lucia Billeci, National Research Council, Italy (CSH)
- Tonghun Hwqang, Universitat Hannover, Germany (CPE)
- Wahab Almuthadi, Algonquin College, Canada (ENT)
- Yibeltal Chanie, National Taipei University of Tech., Taiwan (HMI)
- Chih-Feng Wu, Chang Gung University, Taiwan (IOT)
- Dongeun Suh, Samsung Electronics, Korea (MDA)
- Brij Gupta, National Institute of Tech. Kurukshetra, India (MDT)
- Htoo Maung Maung, Department of Research and Innovation, Myanmar (SEA)
- Jennifer Pounjeba, Everday Technologies, Taiwan (SMC)
- Arshad Ali, Hajee Mohammad Danesh Sience and Tech. Univ., Bangladesh (SPC)
- Cheng-Hung Lin, Yuan Ze University, Taiwan (VAR)
- Wen-Chung Kao, National Taiwan Normal University, Taiwan (WNT)
TCs contribution to CTSoc Publications
Periodically, TCs' officers are forwarding to their members calls for participation in the technical activities of CTSoc publications. A list of open calls, if any, is reported below. Moreover, for closed calls, ways in which the TCs have been involved and outcomes achieved are also reported (chronologically, starting with the more recent). For proposing other contributions, the officers of the relevant TCs can be contacted.
IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine (CEMag) - Call for Associate Editors (closed)
After the appointment of the new Editor in Chief, prof. N. Herencsar, a call was distributed among CTSoc's and TC members to search for new Associate Editors. Among the received applications, the following TCs' representatives were ultimately selected.
- Wen-Huang Cheng (CEA)
- Yen-Lin Chen (MDA/IOT)
- Kapal Dev (WNT)
- Ahmed Farouk (QCT)
- Dan Grois (MDA)
- Pao-Ann Hsiung (CEA)
- Vicente F. Lucena Jr (CSH)
- Wai Yin, Steve Mung (MDT)
- Lucia Pepa (CSH)
- Fernando Pescador (AVS)
- Mohammad Shojafar (IOT)
- Lei Shu (CPE)
- Mehdi Sookhak (HMI)
- Rafael Sotelo (QCT)
- Gordana Velikic (CEA)
- Chia-Mu Yu (SPC)
- Qingxue Zhang, MDA
The full editorial board can be found at https://ctsoc.ieee.org/publications/ieee-consumer-electronics-magazine.html
IEEE TCE Special Section on "Consumer Electronics with Artificial Intelligence" - Call for Guest Editors (closed)
Special Sections have been proposed by Senior Editors, in particular, one titled Special Section on "Consumer Electronics with Artificial Intelligence", led by prof. Fabrizio Lamberti (VP Technical Activities) on topics aligned with/covering a number of CTSoc's TCs. The lead Guest Editor invited TC Officers and Members to help as Guest Editors as follows:
- Fabrizio Lamberti, Politecnico di Torino, Italy (Senior Editor of IEEE TCE)
- Alberto Cannavò, Politecnico di Torino, Italy
- Zaixing He, Zhejiang University, China
- Lucia Pepa, Università Politecnica delle Marche, Italy
- Chia-Mu Yu, National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University, Taiwan
IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics (TCE) - Call for Associate Editors (closed)
After the appointment of the new Editor in Chief, prof. K-F Tsang, IEEE TCE Senior Editors were asked to provide recommendations for new Associate Editor positions. Among the recommended names, the following TCs' representatives were selected.
- Alvaro Quevedo
- Chih-Peng Fan
- Yu-Cheng Fan
- Himanshu Thapliyal
- Ruck Thawonmas
IEEE Access CTSoc section - Call for Associate Editors (closed)
CTSoc launched a section dedicated to consumer technology on IEEE Access, the multidisciplinary, open access journal of the IEEE. More information can be found at https://ctsoc.ieee.org/publications/ieee-oa2021.html. A call was shared within TCs to gather nominations for Associate Editors (AEs) positions. Many nominations were received from TCs, and eight names were selected. Among them, four names came from TCs, listed below.
- Bruce Chiu-Wing Sham, New Zealand University of Auckland, New Zealand (MDT)
- Mei-Juan Chen, Taiwan National Dong Hwa University, Taiwan (AVS)
- Saif alZahir, Canada Concordia University, Canada (SPC)
- Yu-Cheng Fan, Taiwan National Taipei Univeristy of Technology, Taiwan (VAR)
Other applicants were invited by the VP Publications of CTSoc, prof. Wen-Chung Kao, to serve in the Editorial Board of News in Consumer Technology – NCT.
TCs contribution to CTSoc Education activities
Periodically, TCs' officers are forwarding to their members calls for participation in the education activities of CTSoc. A list of open calls, if any, is reported below. Moreover, for closed calls, ways in which the TCs have been involved and outcomes achieved are also reported (chronologically, starting with the more recent). For proposing other contributions, the officers of the relevant TCs can be contacted.
Call for Nominations for Distinguished Lecturers (DLs) - Deadline May 20, 2023
IEEE Consumer Technology Society (CTSoc) accepts nominations for Distinguished Lecturers (DLs), as part of the Distinguished Lecturer Program (DLP). The CTSoc DLP connects excellent speakers among consumer technology experts with global CTSoc community via webinars, and in-person with local Chapters within their geographical area. Appointment as the CTSoc DL is a major Society recognition.
The candidates should be:
- individuals of distinction who are members of the IEEE and of the IEEE Consumer Technology Society;
- recognized experts in their field of work, research, teaching, or service activities;
- inspiring speakers.
Expectations: distinguished Lecturers should prepare up to three lecture topics in their field of expertise for webinars that will be posted in the Society Website. The Distinguished Lecturers should be available to travel within geographical area upon contact by the Chapters and approval by the Chair of DLP Committee. Reasonable travel expenses will be covered if the Chapters request is approved.
Nomination process: the DLs are selected by the DLP Committee and announced after approval by the CTSoc BoG.
The DL nominee must be nominated by CTSoc Chapter, CTSoc conference technical committee, or CTSoc member. If you are looking for a nominator we encourage you to contact the chair of the most relevant CTSoc entity – Chapter, Technical Committee, or Conference who will provide further help.
In pool of candidates, in case of the tight race, the Committee will give advantage to a candidate with publications in IEEE CTSoc Transaction or Magazine, or who participated at IEEE CTSoc supported events, such as conferences, workshops, tutorials.
The nomination form can be found online at https://ctsoc.ieee.org/images/DLnominationForm23ext.doc
DL nominations must be received no later than 20 of May 2023.
The TC on Entertainment and Gaming (ENT) organizes a series of events involving its membership. Examples of talks already held are:
- Towards Entertaining Fighting-Game Gameplay by AI. R. Thawonmas and P. Paliyawan, March 4, 21.00-22.00 (JST)
- Aircraft Recognition Training Simulator using Virtual Reality. W. Choensawat and K. Sookhanaphibarn, April 4, 21:00-22:00 (JST)
- Personalized, video-mapping based exergames for people with multiple sclerosis. Y. A. Sekhavat and Z. Amiri, May 11, 21:00-22:00 (JST)
More information can be obtained by contacting the Officers of the ENT TC.
Webinar - Can quantum computer change "consumer systems"
Yuichi Nakamura (NEC Corporation, Japan) Vice-Chair of the QCT TC will give a speech titled 'Can quantum computer change "consumer systems''" on December 8, 2022, 4pm Japan time, in the context of a webinar jointly organized by Hong Kong Institution of Engineers and IEEE Consumer Technology Society.
Call for webinars and tutorials (open)
TCs started to collected expressions of interest from members interested to deliver webinars and tutorials on CTSoc education channels. Some of the proposal received / events organized are listed below:
- Chia-Mu Yu, Attacks against transfer learning and their countermeasures (SPC)
- Danilo Pau, Tools and methodologies for better productivity leveraging AI community driven interoperability (MDA)
The full schedule of events can be found at https://ctsoc.ieee.org/education/dl-schedules-and-webinars.html.
Those interested to contribute can submit a proposal via this form https://ctsoc.ieee.org/education/webinars-submission-form.html or contact VP of Education, Dr. Gordana Velikic.
TCs contribution to other IEEE initiatives
Periodically, TCs' officers are forwarding to their members calls for participation in cross cutting initiatives in collaboration with other IEEE Society/Council Technical Committees and IEEE organizational units.
Workshop on Quantum in Consumer Technology
Prof. R. Sotelo, Chair of the QCT TC, proposed the organization of a Workshop on Quantum in Consumer Technology in the context of the IEEE Quantum Week, involving other members of the TC and asking for CTSoc tecnical co-sponsorship.
Workshop on Digital Health Informatics
Prof. A. Monteriù, Chair of the CSH TC, proposed the organization of a Workshop on Digital Health Informatics in the Industrial Electronics Society IECON 2022 Conference, technically co-sponsored by CTSoc.
IEEE CTSoc, IEEE SPS and AES joint event
Activities have been carried out to organize a joint event (webinar) encompassing the IEEE Consumer Technology Society, the IEEE Signal Processing Society (SPS) and Audio Engineering Society (AES). The Officers of the AVS and MDA TCs were contacted with the aim to collect proposals for possible names to be invited. Received proposals were discussed with AES and SPS. Akihiko K. Sugiyama (AVS TC) was selected as one of the speakers. Two others speakers, one by SPS, the other by AES, were identified. The joint event will be held on September 15, 2022, from 10am to 12pm EDT on WebEx (registration link).
IEEE Digital Privacy Initiative - Call for volunteers and planned activities (closed)
In Autumn 2021, CTSoc had been invited to contribute to IEEE Future Directions – Digital Privacy initiative. TC Officers have been invited to volunteer and contribute to the IEEE Future Directions – Digital Privacy initiative, also participating to calls devoted to specific directions identified for 2022. Representatives will be as follows:
- Connected Vehicles, Jong-Hyouk Lee (CEA TC)
- Healthcare, Vicente Lucena (CSH TC)
- Digital Privacy System Diagram, Mohd Anuaruddin Bin Ahmadon (SPC TC)
One of the currently relevant CTSoc activities related to the initiative is the organization of the IEEE International Symposium on Digital Privacy and Social Media, San Jose, CA, August 1, 2022.
IEEE Digital Privacy Initiative - Call for speakers (closed)
The IEEE Digital Privacy Initiative is searching for volunteers from CTSoc willing to provide a 15-20 min speech in the context of their October 7th and 8th 2021 workshop, giving their perspective on digital privacy and, specifically, on the following topics, from the consumer technology viewpoint:
- Ethics, and Social Benefits
- Business, Data Handling, and Use
- Technologies, Frameworks, and Standards
- Global Legislations and Regulations
- Cultural [Norms] and [Variations]
Interested members can contact the officers of relevant TCs or the VP of Technical Activities, prof. Fabrizio Lamberti.